THE SYMPOSIUM ON MEDIA CONSERVATION, SPECIFICALLY INTENDED FOR PROFESSIONALS AT LUDWIG MUSEUM – MUSEUM OF CONTEMPORARY ART, BUDAPEST.
The lifetime of media artworks – such as photo, video, film, digital art, internet based and other digital contents – is significantly shorter than that of artworks made with traditional techniques (paintings, statues, monuments etc.). Compared to artworks preserved in museums, the obsolescence of technical devices is considerably faster. Media artworks belong to our cultural heritage. However, such a changing environment requires different preservation strategies for long-term sustainability as opposed to traditional painting, statue and object prevention processes. Methodology of archiving, collecting, presenting, conserving media art as well as specialised professional training are entirely new fields for professionals working in Hungarian public collections.
The associate partner of Ludwig Museum is C3 Center for Culture & Communication.
- at present, in Hungary there is no vocational training on the preservation of contemporary art for conservators
- the appropriate mapping of this diversified field would ideally involve local and international professionals and would also facilitate an exchange and sharing of relevant professional experience and skills
- gaining new skills as well as continuous learning is of crucial importance for professionals and colleagues working in public collections
- it is indispensable to learn about new prospects of collecting, presenting, loaning and preserving media based art
- organising the conference and providing theoretical training with the active involvement of internationally renowned, distinguished conservators, art historians and other professionals working in digitisation and archiving
- researching techniques and mediums used in contemporary art (identification of techniques in the case of photographic artworks)
- presenting and learning about research results as well as practical and technological information (current trends) concerning preventive care and conservation of artworks
- further broadening educational activities in the field of art preservation
- inspiring and generating professional dialogue among conservators, deepening professional connections (international and local museums, collections, archives)
- propagating professional activities related to preventive care, conservation and restoration of contemporary arts, emphasising their importance
- qualified professionals with a degree in conservation
- collections with media art content
- contemporary media artists
- institutions and students of higher education in the field of IT and Art
- identification of different media processes
- preventive conservation / documentation guidance
- in-depth knowledge of the associated technology
- recognising and understanding the need for media art conservation
- analysing condition identification with corresponding documentation
- prioritising conservation needs in the field of digital art